At secondary level, students are streamed into one of two bilingual tracks: Sección bilingüe and Programa bilingüe.
See also: access requirements and criteria.
The Sección bilingüe track is
“designed for students from bilingual public primary schools with a language level that guarantees their ability to continue their academic studies by receiving instruction for curricular content in English”.
It is a high exposure track in which students can study any subject in English except for: Latin, Mathematics, Second Foreign Language, and Spanish Language & Literature. The study of English as a Foreign Language, plus those curricular contents taught in English, must make up at least one third of the weekly schedule:
– English as a Foreign Language (5h/week, one hour daily), in all four years of compulsory education
– Year 1: Biology, Geology, History, and Geography must be taught in English
– Year 2: History and Geography must be taught in English
– Year 3: Biology, Geology, History, and Geography must be taught in English
– Year 4: History and Geography + an additional subject must be offered in English
– The tutorial session must be delivered in English in all four years of compulsory education.
In this low exposure track, in addition to English as a Foreign Language (5 hours per week, broken down into one period daily), students take at least one other subject in English:
– Years 1, 2, 3: at least one subject from among: Physical Education, Visual Arts, Music, Citizenship Education, Technology, Programming, Robotics, and Classical Culture.
– Year 4, at least one subject from among Physical Education, Visual or Performing Arts, Philosophy, Music, Information & Communication Technology, Scientific Culture, and Classical Culture.
Cannot be taught in English: Latin, Mathematics, Second Foreign Language, and Spanish Language & Literature.